Augmentin ES Overdose
It is possible to take too much Augmentin ES (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium ES). Possible symptoms of an overdose may include vomiting, a rash, and kidney damage. Treatment options may include administering certain medications, "pumping the stomach," or using dialysis. If you believe your child has overdosed on Augmentin ES, seek immediate medical attention.
Can You Take Too Much Augmentin ES?Augmentin ES® (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium ES) is an antibiotic used to treat ear infections in children. It contains two different medications, amoxicillin (a penicillin antibiotic) and clavulanate potassium (a beta-lactamase inhibitor that increases the effectiveness of amoxicillin).
The effects of an overdose with this antibiotic will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Augmentin ES dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances. If you suspect that your child or someone else may have taken too much of this medicine, seek immediate medical attention.
Preventing an Augmentin ES OverdoseAfter it is mixed by your pharmacist, Augmentin ES must be stored in a refrigerator. This can create a problem, as children often have access to refrigerators. Make sure the child-resistant cap is tightly screwed on, and consider "hiding" the medicine somewhere in the refrigerator (especially if your child is particular inquisitive). As always, be sure to teach your children about medicine safety, and never call any type of medicine "candy."
What Are the Symptoms?The following symptoms have been reported in cases of an Augmentin ES overdose:
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- Kidney damage.