Ear Channel
Topics & Medications
Quicklinks
Related Channels

Cipro HC Overdose

The effects of an overdose with Cipro HC will depend on how much of the drug was taken and how it was taken, among other things. No specific cases of overdose have been reported; however, based on reports involving the individual active ingredients, taking too much Cipro HC could cause drowsiness, vomiting, tremors, or burning and itching in the ear.

Can You Use Too Much Cipro HC?

Cipro® HC (ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone) is a prescription ear drop used to treat bacterial infections of the outer ear or ear canal, known medically as acute otitis externa. This type of ear infection is sometimes called "swimmer's ear."
 
As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Cipro HC. Although the specific effects of an overdose are not fully known, they would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Cipro HC dosage and how it was taken (for example, into the ear or swallowed).
 

What Are the Effects of an Overdose?

There have been no reported cases of a Cipro HC overdose; therefore, the specific effects are unknown. Using too much Cipro HC in the ears may be expected to cause ear irritation, such as burning, discomfort, or itching.
 
Taking a Cipro HC overdose by mouth could cause effects similar to those seen with ciprofloxacin or hydrocortisone, the active ingredients in Cipro HC. These may include:
 
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Disorientation
  • Slurred speech
  • Tremors
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhea or constipation
  • Stomach pain or cramping.
     

Treatment for a Cipro HC Overdose

The treatment for an overdose with Cipro HC will vary. If the overdose was recent and taken orally, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
 
Treatment would also likely involve supportive care, if necessary, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for an oral overdose may include monitoring for heart or lung reactions. Supportive care for a topical overdose may include gently flushing the area with water.
 
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.
 
6 Quick Tips for Getting Kids to Take Medicine

Cipro HC Antibiotic Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.