The specific effects of a Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone) overdose are unknown, as there have been no reported cases of an overdose of this medication. However, using too much could potentially cause ear irritation, such as burning, discomfort, or itching. Swallowing this medicine could lead to disorientation, nausea, or dizziness. Treatment options may include administering activated charcoal or providing supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Ciprodex?Ciprodex® (ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone) is a prescription ear drop used to treat bacterial infections of the middle ear (otitis media) in children with ear tubes. It is also used to treat bacterial infections of the outer ear (otitis externa) in children and adults. It contains a combination of ciprofloxacin, which is an antibiotic used to treat infections, and dexamethasone, a corticosteroid included to help reduce ear inflammation.
As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Ciprodex. Although the specific effects of an overdose with this medication are not fully known, they would likely vary depending on a number of factors, including how much was taken and how it was used (for example, applied into the ear or swallowed).
What Are the Effects of an Overdose?Because there have been no reported cases of a Ciprodex overdose, the specific effects of an overdose are unknown. However, using too much of this medication in the ears could cause ear irritation, such as burning, discomfort, or itching.
Taking an overdose of Ciprodex by mouth could cause effects similar to an overdose with ciprofloxacin or dexamethasone (the active ingredients in Ciprodex). These effects may include:
- Slurred speech
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Abdominal (stomach) pain or cramping.
However, such problems are unlikely, as the amount of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone in an entire bottle of Ciprodex is quite small.