Precautions and Warnings With Meclizine
There are many precautions and warnings with meclizine to be aware of before starting treatment. For example, it is important to know that elderly people may be more susceptible to the side effects of meclizine. If you are over 60 years old, it is recommended to check with your healthcare provider before taking this drug; meclizine can worsen many conditions common in the elderly.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Meclizine?
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking meclizine hydrochloride (Antivert®, Bonine®, Dramamine® Less Drowsy Formula) if you have:
- An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Stomach ulcers
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Alzheimer's disease
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.